Sunday 22 April 2012

Progress - 22nd April 2012

3 DOWN 1 TO GO !!!


One, Two, Three - Roadrunner, roadrunner, going faster miles an hour.

   Are we there yet, are we there yet is the phrase that rings round in my head more than ever recently and no wonder when within less than a week I find myself standing amongst a crowd of nutcases wearing shorts and trainers.

   The enjoyment is coming back now though and that is more due to the fact that the worst is behind me and I am able to feel less stressed and pressured. The training for the 26.2 miles [Brighton this time] totally absorbs the life from you. Eat sleep and breathe running is the way life goes for 16 - 20 weeks and lets not forget they are the dullest, coldest weeks of the year and if I don't moan about it you will all think it's a piece of cake so I have to grind at you in the hope you will part with a small amount of money to help my cause - PLEASE.

Courtesy of The Surrey Advertiser :


Don't forget to look at the pics from the picasa link on the right.

  The past week has been a relaxing one following the Brighton Marathon of last Sunday and I have felt okay, no real aches or pains which is brilliant. Even went up to London on Monday and had a walk round for the day. As it happens walking around probably eased the legs and did much goodness to them, which was a good thing because the weather for the rest of the week made me decide I would'nt go out for a run untill the Clandon Park 10k on Saturday.

   I became united with my roadrunner on Tuesday which surprised not only me but several others knowing my phobia. All I can say is I am very happy to have him with me after the last two years of achievements for Georges. Meep Meep.

   Saturday morning [my Birthday] was upon me before I had time to blink, however going to George Abbot to take part in this event for the 5th time is a pleasurable occurance, marred only by the lack of Nigel Notley my running mentor and general head case. Recovering from a knee op he was missed.

   A sensible start time of 10.15 and the rain had stopped, all good but I've run here before and know the terrain. The previous days rain would have made the predominantly cross country trek a 'little' bit muddy here and there. The run sets off from the grounds of George Abbot School, a very well organised event with official chip timing and something for all the family happening throughout the morning. 
  Starting off along the short tarmac part of the course the first hill hits you like a sledgehammer within only a couple of hundred yards, [I hate hills], then you cross a road and off into the back end of Clandon Park. IT WAS MUDDY!!
Very wet and muddy and good fun.I could hear many a fellow runner exclaiming their dislike of the stuff, oh dear, getting dirty trainers tsk-tsk. The key is lots of concentration and look out for them tree roots hiding just waiting to trip you up, haha I love it! A definate Christina Aguilera event where you gotta get down and dirty. Some naughty long low hills take the legs out of you at a couple of points but as Nigel says 'dig in' and you get there. Before you know it you are back at that horrible hill from the start only now it's down all the way and the sound of steps behind ensure I don't let up. A final burst through the railway underpass and with those trainers behind gaining I emerge into the final finish straight of 50 yards and desperatly give all to make sure the bugger stays behind. Job done. Not a blistering time at 58 minutes, my best here being 49 minutes but with the longer pace I've been on for 2 years makes it okay and lets not forget that mud. Another medal and T-shirt thankyou very much. 


   A big thankyou to all the staff at George Abbot who make this event possible and pleasurable.  A very different way to celebrate a birthday.

   So where to next? Well its 5 weeks to the Bupa London 10k on 27th May and in that time I shall do some work on time. Try to bring back the faster pacing if I can. That will be the finale in this fundraising quartet and my mate of lots and lots and lots of years Sean is running as well so I might have to trip him up or tie his laces together.

   A massive thankyou to every single person who has so very kindly given to Georges charity so far and don't forget you can give more than once if you feel inspired to do so, after all I am running four times and then I really, really will shut up and stop pestering you. If you haven't given yet then you are a tight arse and I will hound you for ever more hahaha, no seriously though, go on, it makes you feel good! 

Theres only one tune for this week

From 1979 Mc fadden & Whitehead - ''Aint no stopping us now'' 

  There's been so many things thats held us down.
But now it looks like things are finally comin' around.
I know we've got, a long long way to go,
and where we'll end up, I don't know.
But we won't let nothin' hold us back,
we're putting our selves together,
we're polishing up our act!
If you felt we've been held down before,
I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore!

 Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We're on the move!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We've got the groove!

 

 

 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/ 

See my sponsorship page at 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment