Sunday 20 May 2012

Progress - 20th May 2012

''AND NOW THE END IS NEAR AND SO I FACE THE FINAL-RUN''

   Well here we are a week away from the last run of four to raise funds for the great, St.Georges Hospital Charity.

   The last few weeks I have tried to relax a bit and rest but then even the relatively short 10k [6.25miles in old money] distance takes some doing and should never be under estimated. This in mind I have been out in the evenings taking in a short 3 mile run which, I will be honest, actually takes it out of me.
I don't know if its the warmer weather that makes it hard or the over indulgence in cake but I know I have difficulty and that really infuriates after only four weeks has lapsed since I ran 26.2 miles, a distance I couldn't even contemplate now. One thing for sure I know you can run too much and the burden of training takes any enjoyment away but you all know why I'm doing this and you have been great in supporting me.

IF ANYONE FEELS THE URGE TO GIVE A LITTLE MORE PLEASE GO FOR IT, 
IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD.


   The thought of running in London is quite exciting in a way, with the Diamond Jubilee coming up and the Olympics, there should be a good atmosphere. Word has it that the great Mo Farah will be taking part again, having run the same event with him in 2009 it will be a re-union of two great athletes[said with tongue very much in cheek]. If any of you lot don't know who Mo Farah is then I'm ashamed of you as he will be the man to give us 2 gold medals this Summer, one in the 5000 metres and the 10000 metres events. The course we run is very much the Olympic marathon course, only that we only do the one circuit but to start and finish in the Mall just up from Liz and Phils place is something very special.


   I have received my number, 7143 so all set and ready to go although I could do with a leg massage if there are any volunteers. This week I shall be taking it very easy with probably a 3 mile run on Wednesday evening only just to keep from seizing up totally. My knees, a problem last year, have been great so far which I have to say is very much to do with the frequent replacement of trainers, an expensive excercise but my word very much worth every penny. Talking of knees as we are, I hope my mate Nigel is getting back into rythm following his earlier operation, you are getting old now though mate, probably time to slow down a bit! [Catch me if you can]

   Its going to be nice to have Sunday mornings back for the Summer months, I may be able to take Suzy out for a cup of tea and burger at Newlands corner, just to keep Steve happy. Steves' dad, you may remember, had an unexpected visit to Georges at the end of last year and is now back to work and getting on with life, another success story from a great hospital.

   If you have nothing better to do next Sunday 27th May why not take a day trip to London and watch this old fool sweating his way around the streets, the run starts at 10.00 a.m and I should finish while its still light, you could hurl encouraging gestures at me [or cake]. It will definately be a red day Yvette.

   Thanks one last time to all who have given to the cause, Georges and I really, REALLY appreciate every penny more than ever with the current economic climate, Thank you one and all. The page is still open!!

A tune to end this crazy venture on, well seventies again and a goody from 1975 its       

The Eagles and ''Take it to the limit''



You know I've always been a dreamer
(spent my life running 'round)
And it's so hard to change
(Can't seem to settle down)
But the dreams I've seen lately
Keep on turning out and burning out
And turning out the same

So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time


 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/ 

See my sponsorship page at 


No comments:

Post a Comment