Monday 16 April 2012

Progress - 15th April 2012

GOT THE T-SHIRT AND THE MEDAL

   Well, well, well, suddenly I stand on the other side of months of training, in the snow with Nigel before christmas and in the rain and cold with Dixie in March and the many lonely, [my God they are lonely], lonely evenings in the dark and then the cold Sunday mornings.

Please look over to the right and follow the Picasa link to see some pics.
   
  The previous week saw no runs on Tuesday or Thursday, instead resting and taking in a long walk just to stretch out a bit. I didn't want to take any chances this year of late injuries and managed to get through.

   On Friday a visit to Brighton to collect my running number with timing chip was necessary and became a reccy for Sunday, finding my booked parking and checking out the start and finish locations. Caroline and our two daughters acompanied me with my grandaughter Grace who decided that no matter what, a paddle in the sea was compulsory. A lovely sunny day with a relaxing lay on the beach and wander round the Lanes, the peace before the storm.

THE BIG DAY


Jog tracker died at 22 miles but I carried on honestly

   Setting your alarm clock for 3.30 a.m on a Sunday morning is a reminder that you are either of your trolley or doing something special. Heaven forbid you ever find this necessary but if you ever have to call for an ambulance to respond to a loved one maybe a small part of you will remember that somewhere, someone is doing a ridiculous thing to recognise the help that is given by so many hospitals. When you pass that silly sod running running along the side of the road looking knackered and wonder why they are doing it, remember they probably don't really want to be there either but it's a gesture of support to those who have helped us and a way that we can, in a small way, give something back for the lives they have saved or helped with.

   Caroline, Emma and Grace departed our house along side me at 4.30 on a dark Sunday morning with Grace waking up to ask 'why are we going out in the middle of the night?' Arrival at Preston Park was early and allowed a small doze in the car before setting to it.
   At 9.00 the run was started and 10 minutes later I found myself in a daze crossing the start of a mammoth task but trying to keep my head together by chunking each 5 miles as a seperate challenge. The first 4 miles are well attended by crowds but then you head off to the end of beyond, up a slow, very naughty little hill with the wind cutting across like an iced blade. A very straight road that tortures you mentally as you look into the distance and see no end to the bobbing heads of runners with faster participants coming back on the other side benefitting from the down hill return. 
   This first loop returns you to the front alonside the pier and the 13 mile halfway point. I was doing okay here keeping to my planned 10 minute miles but now the hard bit the second half. A welcome sight greeted me as I turned into the next section with Paul and Kay catching my eye giving me a boost of encouragement. We then headed into a draining long straight road that formed a loop of some 5 miles that, after not faltering for the first 16 miles, finally had me taking a walk break. After 20 yards I broke into a stride again but found this to be the pattern now for the remainder, taking a walk every mile or so. Returning to the front and the last loop sees the journy go towards Shoreham and a power station site, a very bleak and a very straight section that was aptly named the road to hell. A walk past a hostelry with many beer drinkers on the balcony caused my most memorable point when talking to a fellow sufferer suddenly a shout goes up and, this proves the point of having your name prominently positioned is good for moral, 'Alan if you stopped talking to Terry and got on with running you would get there a bit quicker'. Well that certainly made us both laugh and caused a cheer when when we both stepped back into motion, a brilliantly ad libbed moment.
   The final 3 miles provided a distant site of the Grand Pier, which with each pace although getting closer, seemed impossibly far and taunted me beyound belief. So many people now encouraging me to go for it shouting 'you're almost there' and 'come on Alan not far now' but it was far enough. My head was in a mess now as I knew my time had slipped again and I was sure I had another 2 miles to run when I finally hit 25. 
   A very welcome site came in the distance, I could see Caroline, Emma and Grace at the road edge and that lifted me back up as I touched hands with them as I passed then almost opposite another great site and sound of Paul and Kay egging me on, I felt good again. 
   Then the site of  the final 800 metres to go marker made me realise my mistake and I hadn't as far to go as I had imagined, now I really pulled myself together with a new lease of life. Enjoying the 26 mile marker, pointing to it like I had on the Friday caused a huge cheer from the crowd and I had my hand in the air waving as I finally approached the line with their applause and shouts in my ears. JOB DONE!


   Collecting my medal and goody bag now just a formality as I looked forward to seeing my family, friends and of course Liz and Maribel. A very welcome choccy bar from the Georges team and a sit down before photos and a chat was the icing on the cake really for a great day. I did mention to Maribel that we couldn't go on meeting like this. If I have to run 26 miles just to meet her and Liz then I dont think I can carry on seeing them, but they are worth every every penny I can raise for there cause. The dedication they show to their job is inspiring and I have to thank them hugely for making it possible for me to be able to run the event for them. 

   Injuries taken on during Brighton are: 2 blackened little toe nails, one other toe on the edge of blackness and a painfull graze on my right upper thigh caused by energy gels in pocket rubbing [cor that is sore]. The legs are okay really once I get going I'm alright. Not bad.

   So two down, [the biggest] now two to go for this finale. On the coming Saturday 21st April I shall reach 51 years of age and, although I should know better by now, I will be taking part in my favourite event, The Clandon Park 10k run. This 6.25 mile course starts at George Abbot school in Burpham and takes a mainly cross country route, very pleasant but still no push over and respect is due for it.

   Many, many, many thankyous to everyone of you who have followed me and to those who have been able to give to Georges so far. Only another month to go then I'll shut up ...... if you give enough!!!



 This weeks tune is the amazing 1974 number 1 by 
Les Gray and Mud 'Tiger Feet'

I got a feeling in my knees
a feeling only you can please

and there ain't no way I'm gonna let you out of my sight - alright
Well that's right
that's right
that's right
that's right

I really love your tiger light

and that's nead
that's nead
that's nead
that's nead

I really love your tiger feet
   
P.S  Well done to Lewis and Jenson in China. Come on McLaren.

 See you all next week,


 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/ 

See my sponsorship page at 

1 comment:

  1. Woooooo Hooooooo You did it. I am soooo proud of you. Not bad for an Oldie hahaha. Really enjoyed reading all the blogs. Big hugs xxx Monique Mick Kyran

    ReplyDelete