Sunday 8 April 2012

Progress - 8th April 2012

THIS TIME NEXT WEEK RODNEY............

   Nervous? Me? A veteran of this old game, yes bloomin sure I am, I can't wait until it's over and then I can enjoy looking back on it all.

Suddenly it's here and I don't know if I'm ready for it or not. Last weeks Reading half was good but very warm and the thought of turning round and running back over the route again is stomach churning. I know I will do it but it's the fact it feels like a chore now and I am not enjoying it that gets me down, although once it gets underway and I see some familiar faces dotted about I expect it will feel better. On a sad note, did you see one poor bloke of 30 collapsed and died after crossing the finish line at Reading, it is definitely not a thing to be taken lightly this running lark.

   I could certainly feel the toll of last Sundays' push when it came to Tuesdays evening run. 6.00 miles was the total as my left calf still ached from a case of cramp 2 days earlier. Still that should keep the old legs from ceasing up and this year, ''touch wood'', the knees are still in one piece. No over doing it now, every step I take is carefully planned so I don't trip or twist on anything, pity I can't get this through to Smirnoff, my cat, who still thinks sleeping right on the top stair is a good place to be.[If the inevitable happens he will be the first cat in orbit]

  Thursday evening saw my departure from the Dinosaur sanctuary for a full
17 days of heavenly peace and so I decided to postpone this run until the Good Friday morning and do a final gentle 13 mile run then. 

http://www.jogtracker.com/HistoryDetails.aspx?SyncID=018111bb-0d59-454e-8e61-a7e55e8eabb9&UserName=alannelless

I went out round my old half marathon training run and with it being potentially the last time I tread these roads I recalled previous mornings out there, in the ice, frost, rain and bleak Winter mornings when it was the last place you wanted to be. The loneliness of the long distance runner eh! I remembered the time last year my good mate Nigel came round with me, [and nearly killed me], the time before Christmas he dragged me around Newlands Corner and beyond and it started to snow, Christ that was desperate - I loved it really Nigel. I hope that knee of yours is getting better but seriously, give up the running it will cripple you mate. The runs around Virginia Water lake were more colourful, even though the repetition kills you and top bloke Dixie coming round with me in the cold drizzling rain was a real treat, cheers mate and well done.
  Well I endured the 13.35 miles without stopping, as at Reading, but a slower pace to give the body a chance and resolved to make that the last real training session before next Sunday. I shall probably take in a gentle couple of miles on Tuesday but want to save myself now, well someone has to, it's what the pros call tapering.

   So this Sunday morning as I write this Chapter I am so aware that unless I die it will all be over by now next week. A lot to do before hand though, not least the trip to Brighton on Friday to pick up my running number. I have booked my parking space quite near to Preston Park - the start and will use Fridays' visit as a rehearsal for the day, [Not the running bit though]. Have to be down there by 6.30 / 7.00 a.m on the Sunday as local roads close after that. That sort of means leaving home at 4.30 a.m, can you believe it, Caroline can't. 
   
   If any of you are bored next Sunday, why not come along and give me a shout, that way you can see the donkey you've pledged your money on plod along the road.
Kiss me quick [I need resuscitation] hats are available along the promenade and I'd love to see you there if you can make it.
Maribel from Georges will be there and we are aiming to meet up at the St.Georges tent at the charity village afterwards. The following link shows the route of the run.

   
  The following Saturday 21st See's my birthday and the somewhat more sensible Clandon Park 10k run starting from George Abbot school in Burpham.

Two tunes in my head this week and the first is for my little angel, poorly at the other end of the country.

The Tymes and Ms Grace
Ms Grace, when you walk by
You’re the twinkle in my eye
There’s no need to wonder why
I’ve fallen for you

See you soon sweatheart xxx 

Now for me, it has to be Mr Boz Scaggs and the fantastic Lido Shuffle

Lido, whoa, he's for the money, he's for the show
Lido's a waitin' for the go
Lido, whoa, he said, three more runs oughta get it
One last shot 'fore we quit it,
three more for the road


 See you all next week,


 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/ 

See my sponsorship page at 
 
  

  
                    PLEASE LEAVE YOUR INSPIRING COMMENTS BELOW





No comments:

Post a Comment