Sunday 1 April 2012

Progress - 1st April 2012

I MUST BE AN APRIL FOOL.

One down, 3 to go. 

   
Well this week has seen the start of the mission. On Tuesday I took to the roads on a sunny hot evening. Upped the pace a bit and kicked the legs out to give a final stretch in the training regime. Sound like a pro don't I? 
   I have to say the Tuesday evenings are easier after the long run of Sunday but don't be fooled, it still hurts. I managed the usual course of 7.5 miles with some hill reps and with my super new treads it went well.

   On Thursday I decided to give it a miss and relax, with The weekend event coming up. Theoretically you are supposed to taper off towards a big run however with a bigger run to come in two weeks it makes it a bit difficult to know what to do for the best. As the bigger event is the priority I have to keep my pace down, [that's easy] and use the half marathon event as a gauge of my ability and check my times - you can check mine with a sundial.

  Suddenly its the weekend and a break on Saturday means I can indulge my obsession with McLaren F1 motor team, with a visit to Woking Town centre where they have a demo car on display, think kid in a sweetshop.
I did actually pop down Friday lunchtime as well but on Saturday I donned my sponsorship T-Shirt and had a couple of pics taken with the car and 'Lewis'.
  I have uploaded more pics on the link from the Virgin Giving page do have a little looky.

   6.00 A.M Sunday morning and the buzzing in my ear tells me either a demented bumble bee has entered the bedroom or it's time to get up, bugger one day it'll be a bee. 'Run around now' and then its off to Reading, after clearing the frost from the car windows. Arriving a 7.45 was perfect to miss all the queues but blimey it was cold. Walked over to the Madejski stadium, home of Reading F.C, for a look at the finish line and then milled around till the off at 10.02.

   Three gingerbread men, two Morris dancers and a bloomin Camel lined up nearby, never instills confidence gettting beaten by a camel or even a gingerbread man and having two Morris dancers up beside you running makes you think you've got bloody tinitis. Any way I lost the Gingerbread men and the Morris dancers but the camel had me beat, however it cheated, there were three of them in it, not very sporting. I even know where Elvis is now after an impromptu visit at the start into the bushes to help the trees grow, he came past me having helped helped another tree grow.

   The people of Reading were great in their support and again with my name emblazoned across my body I was hailed all the way round, much to the dissapointment of 3 ladies running for vision impaired, as I passed them I heard one say 'thanks Alan for stealing our thunder' oblivious to the fact I was next to her.

   The mile markers came far too slowly and far too far apart although thankfully after mile 8 they dissapeared altogether which I found easier on the mind. With the stadium in sight I heeded the advice to stay calm as there was still over a mile to go and many a runner has collapsed within sight, not realising the true distance. This became a reality to many I witnessed at the side of the road and even within the last yards within the stadium.

   Entering the stadium was fantastic, really moving actually to see the stands full of cheering people who, with just a wave for encouragement really rose to the occasion and made you feel a real champion.

Have a look at my morning here

 http://www.jogtracker.com/HistoryDetails.aspx?SyncID=4e245de2-032c-40e4-a968-8adf3c8f557a&UserName=alannelless

   Soon enough it was over and I was in the queue out the other side waiting for my medal and goody bag, which incidentally had a Quality street purple bar in it, that didn't live very long.

  A painful bought of cramp in my left calf had me in agony at he meet up point but a trip to the massage tent, which was run with military precision, soon put me right and off we went for food.

   A large K.F.C and then round to Costco for some lovelly cakes soon had me forgetting the trials and tribulations of the previous couple of hours.

   Another week of training ahead now as we go towards the 'BIG ONE' at Brighton and I hope [sorry for this] the weather isn't sunny untill I finish that one or I might die. [If I do you still have to pay]

This week we go back to 1973 for Wings and 'Band on the run' 
we certainly were this morning

 If I ever get out of here,
Thought of giving it all away
To a registered charity.
All I need is a pint a day
If I ever get out of here.
Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun,
And the first one said to the second one there I hope you're having fun.
Band on the run, band on the run.
And the jailer man and sailor sam were searching every one

For the band on the run, band on the run, band on the run, band on the run



 See you all next week,


 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/ 

See my sponsorship page at 
 
  

  
                    PLEASE LEAVE YOUR INSPIRING COMMENTS BELOW


3 comments:

  1. Well done, I looked up your results on the Reading website. You did very well.
    Monique x (The Dutch Bird)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done alan, you is a champion mate.
    Gingerbread men & camels...brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Alan
    all that works soon going to pay off keep it going stay focused we are all behind you
    Sean Gilll xx

    ReplyDelete