Sunday 25 March 2012

Progress - 25th March 2012

Take pity on an old man

  Will I make it or will I end up six foot under in a wooden box lined with a dozen pairs of worn out trainers for eternal company? Who knows but I do know I am determined to reach my target of £1500 to help St.Georges provide additional comfort for patients, staff and visitors so please help me if you can or come along and give me some support at one of the 4 runs I'm doing. Its worth coming along just to see the state of me when I eventually cross the finish line, I don't need a McLaren victory T-shirt, I'm naturally a brighter shade of red.

What a beautiful week we've had weather wise and doesn't it make you feel better, definately a pink week Yvette, shame to go to work when it's like that.

  Anyway hows the old git been doing running wise, well I did go road running on Tuesday evening and with the new tyres strapped on I fair floated round, gliding along the tarmac like a rocket sled on rails. Well its was good anyway and I did 7.5 miles with hill reps in amongst just for a laugh. So take note even if your trainers look good and tread is still like new it doesn't mean they are still good enough, 6 weeks mine have lasted. Mind you I don't expect any of you armchair sportsters will be testing my theory, you're all too sensible!

  Thursday evening I was really up for a good long sprint but Maribel had invited the Brighton and the London marathon runners up to Tooting for a curry night out. Well it would be rude not to after all the work the team and her do so I didn't run I munched instead. It was a really good night, great to see the others and swap stories and tales of woe. Thank you Maribel.
After the meal Caroline and me had more entertainment lined up, we decided to forget where the car was parked and then try to find it. What a good laugh, we found it after 45 minutes and some very comical moments along the way. I feel someone in Tooting is owed an appology but couldn't for the life of me tell you why, suffice to say I was in tears of laughter all the way home and still spontaneously burst into giggles.

  Summer time began today, hooray, I love this time of year despite losing an hours sleep.

Have a look where I went today by clicking the link.


  My last long run today before the last long run, if you see what I mean.
A struggle as usual to part from my pillow, however the cause keeping me focused and so out into the crisp sunshine I go and I took each section of the route seperate in my head so as to make it a less daunting trek. A big disadvantage of running the same routes over and over again is the sheer mental struggle knowing where you are and where you have to go next and how far you are from each stage, especially when distractions are lacking en-route. I've never been a fan of music pumping into earphones when running as you never know whats happening around you, bad enough sometimes as it is with people or cars creeping up on you. 
  Todays first 13 miles went fairly well actually although it was a bit hot in places. I managed my energy gels just right with 1 at 5, 10, 14 and 17 miles and did get a benefit each time which was satisfying. Then pace from there on not any quicker but probably not any slower so happy enough with that and I didn't need walk breaks. At 16 miles I would have happily given up but knowing I have to go a lot further soon, I managed to push on but it was quiet out there, everyone still in bed following the clock change I expect.
  As I came down through Knaphill I was on auto pilot yet somehow my home got closer and I finally found myself back in my garden and looking forward to seeing Lewis and Jenson battle it out in Malaysia. 

  20 miles, have a think when you're out in the car next, where that would get you from home, its mental and this silly sod runs it, where are the men in white coats when you need them, I'd go peacfully.

  Spare a thought for me next Sunday as I run the 13 mile half marathon at Reading.

  I'm as ready as I ever will be but need some support guys 

Top tune this week from 1978 has to be:
The Electric Light Orchestra with 'MR BLUE SKY'
  
Runnin' down the avenue
See how the sun shines brightly in the city
On the streets where once was pity
Mister blue sky is living here today hey, hey

Mister blue sky please tell us why
You had to hide away for so long
Where did we go wrong?



 See you all next week,

 Alan. xxx


http://www.facebook.com/

See my sponsorship page at 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You're very welcome Alan and it was great to see you and Caroline on Thursday night too! Sorry to hear you had an ordeal finding the car, but at least it gave you a giggle eh?!

    Do you remember Dan talking about his randomly mixed up music selection for his training? Well, he posted it onto the London Marathon blog I set up for the team and thought you might like to check it out in all its bizarre glory!
    http://stgeorgeslm2012.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/marathon-distractions.html

    ReplyDelete